Monday, September 26, 2011

Man V. Woman ~ What did you do today?

Mark and I are sometimes completely stereotypical when it comes to communication. Today we had to stop and laugh after the following conversation.

Mark: What did you do today?
Jill: Well I was really proud of myself until I got home this afternoon. Wait, let me back up. I woke up at 8:15, well 8:11, and instead of going to water aerobics I chose to go work on the other flower bed. After a while, I kinda had an ADD moment and checked my email on my phone. There was one from Tara about Melissa's birthday party today at 11:30 at the park, so I only worked until 10:30. Then I got in the shower and got ready for the day. I am trying to tweak my style. What do you think? Lime green tank, brown button-up, peacock feather earrings...does this look cute? I am trying to go from boring teacher to "cool mom." I know I'm not a mom, but same idea. I like it. Anyway, I stayed at the park until 1:15-1:30 ish. Then I went to Goodwill to find a picture frame for my first craft group meeting on Wednesday. They have awesome frames there for way cheap. While I was there I saw 2 bar stools for only $7 each. I have been looking for bar stools for weeks and the cheapest set is like 25 bucks. So I was really excited about that find. Then I got a brand new chair for my vanity, a really nice big picture frame, a smaller picture frame, and a huge roll of wrapping paper for only $24 because yellow tags were buy one get one free so the wrapping paper was free when I bought the chair. When I got home I found out the bar stools are about 6 inches too tall. Can you cut iron? I think they are iron. I can't believe 1/2 of my purchase doesn't even work! Anyway, when I was unloading the car I decided the wreath was driving me nuts because it feels like fall now and it looks so summery still. So I started to redo that but ran out of fabric. I meant to get black fabric today, but never got to Hobby Lobby so I couldn't finish it. After I worked on the wreath I started cleaning. I got all of the Enrichment stuff put away and the counter-tops are clean. Except I still have to sweep the floor because I just brushed all the crumbs off the counter onto the floor while I was cleaning. Oh and I have to steam clean the carpet too. There are muddy footprints in the living room from when I heard the FedEx truck while I was tilling the dirt and ran through the house to go sign for a package. So, yeah, I have stayed busy all day and still have stuff I need to do. How was your day?
Mark: Fine.
Jill: What did you do?
Mark: Oh..same old same old.

I don't know why I have the urge to share every part of my day when Mark asks me how it went or what I did. However, I am sure other ladies have the same tendency, or else the stereotype wouldn't exist. Mark's mom warned me when I got engaged that Mark doesn't talk very much. I told her I hadn't ever known Mark to be short on words. Hummm....moms know best! Maybe it has always been this way and the reason we never have problems holding a conversation is that I do almost all of the talking. Who knows, but whatever the reason our conversation gave us a good laugh this evening.

4 comments:

Mommy said...

Ahhh . . . gotta love my monosyllabic son. I loved the post, Jill. That's about how David's and my conversations go.

lrbodine said...

I can relate! Rob doesn't say much and comes home to females that want to talk his ear off!

Paulette said...

Ask Mark to describe his day as he would describe a BYU football game. You'll get a second by second account.

Karissa Kay said...

that's hilarious!